Feb 4, 2007

Hey! This is my life!

My friend Andrew asked me yesterday (at 2 in the morning when walking back from a friend's); "Why are you in such a rush to get out of here?"

Here being UVic.

I think this is a bit of misunderstanding to start with. I'm taking so many required classes that I'm always rushed, etc, so it seems like I'm in a hurry to get my degree done (when in reality it's a 5 year program).

But he's right, too. There's nothing stopping me from taking a year off, or taking an extra year to lighten my courseload and take a few classes I'm interested in.

That's right. There's nothing stopping me. This is my life!

It was (and is) a huge realization for me. It was definately a "what the hell am I doing?!" moment. I realized that I'm largly moving through my life in the path set out for me by my parents, and awesome as that path may be or not, it's not mine. Though I might run into opposition on the more patriarchal side of my family if I took hold of my own life more, it's something that should be considered and dealt with AFTER making my decisions for myself.

I know this sounds like a corny self confidence speech, but it's important. It's something that's been bubbling under the surface of my subconcious for a while now. Ever since my ex-person became an ex-person I've been slowly coming to the realizations that:

1) I run my life.
2) I rock.
3) I have unlimited potential to rock more.
4) I want to rock more.

So yes, I'm going to do that. Rock more that is. First, I have to get my homework done, because good marks aid in my plans (as well as the knowledge I'll get from doing my homework).

LOVE!
~Eden

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm! Very wicked sentiment, yah. Any flak you might get over such a decision would still be worth it. The whole "unlimited power to rock more" is such an Alexism (which is a good thing!). I can't wait to see what comes of this self-realization. ^_^

- Barry

Unknown said...

well, it's true, you know our patriarch, and he is a scary man in that flak about decisions is almost not worth it!! it's weird, i know.

oh, and ed: are you coming to visit me for an extended period of time? we should record a record!!??