Mar 21, 2007

The landscape screams for silence.

The Rothko Chapel:

http://www.menil.org/rothko.html

http://www.rothkochapel.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rothko_Chapel


(Rothko's Triptych)

A piece we are studying in class, of the same name, was written by Morton Feldman. In his Darmstadt lectures, after discussing how he hears and composes with a spectrum of 88 notes (not 12 notes transferred to different octaves) he says:

"I hear them. Of course, maybe you don't hear them. Maybe you didn't know that was music. Maybe you thought music was words without music. I don't know. Talk without music, concepts without hearing. I don't know" (page 195).

Concepts without hearing. I'm in love with this man.

Also, R. Murray Schaeffer came to our class the other day. Y'know, t'was just a casual visit. It's not like he's an amazing, well known Canadian composer who works in soundscape and acoustic ecology as well as composition! Oh my goodness, it was so awesome. The Layfayette String Quartet commissioned his 11th String Quartet, and we heard the first performance (ever) of two of the movements.

This is what university is about, yet I don't have time to enjoy it, often. Oh how I will love reading this summer.

About this summer! Andrew, Lisi and I are renting a place (for summer and September following). It's in an amazing location, has a back yard with fruit trees, plenty of room, hardwood floors in the bedrooms, and a bathtub. BATH-TUB. Fuck yeah.

Also, I may have a job doing library data entry (setting up the music library's digital database), which is ridiculously awesome. We just need to get approved for funding.

So, when all of this sorts itself out my summer will rock... my socks for three straight blocks. There will gardening, teaching children about gardening, flute playing, music writing, book reading, song and sound recording, and sleeping. Lots of sleeping.

Okay, talking of sleeping, I should go do that now.

Love,
Eden

No comments: